On Coaching Podcast | # 78: The difference between Average, Good and Great
What does it take to be great? What about just good? When it comes to performance, we all start near the bottom. Being "okay" or average, but then we make jumps along the way. How far up the ladder do we go and what allows us to make those jumps? In this episode of On Coaching, we explore the difference between average, good, and great. What are the different mindsets required, how much effort versus talent does it take? In this episode we make the case that almost everyone can make it to good, and with a little talent, luck, and understanding, many of us can make it to great.
- Effort is the key requirement to go from average to good. (5min)
- Instant Gratification often prevents us from making the next leap (6min)
- Lessons from the first American under 13 minutes for 5k, Bob Kennedy (11min)
- The immediate versus cummulative effect (14min)
- How writer Jonathan Franzen went all in on the process (25min)
- We coach to change horizons (30min)
- How it all comes down to choices in the moment and how we train them (35min)
- The defining characteristic-Responding to Failure: An inside look at failure of one of Steve's athletes and how he responded (41 minutes)
Resources Mentioned on this weeks episode:
Visit our Sponsor FINAL SURGE
We have a new sponsor for the On Coaching Podcast, Final Surge! What is Final Surge?
It's a training log designed for athletes, coaches, and teams. They are giving listeners of the podcast 10% off by using the coupon code ONCOACHING
For coaches, it makes assigning workouts and designing training plans a breeze. It allows copious amounts of feedback from athletes, and even a message board for your athletes to interact, creating team bonding from afar. For athletes, it's a sophisticated log that can track just about everything.
How do we know it's good? I utilize Final Surge with my athletes as a way to plan, track, and receive feedback on all of their training. It streamlines the process of coaching and makes it where I don't miss a run, workout, or nagging injury that pops up.
For athletes, it's free to use. For coaches, there's a monthly cost. They also have training plans designed by the pro's, if you are looking for one!
Check out Final Surge and receive 10% off by visiting http://www.finalsurge.com/oncoaching and using the coupon code ONCOACHING