On Coaching Podcast | Episode # 76: Transitions, Ego, and Racing with 3:56 miler Daniel Herrera
We have a special guest for this week’s episode, Daniel Herrera. Dan is a 3:56 miler who trains under Jon Marcus at High Performance West. In this episode, Dan talks all about transitions, in coaching, life, and training. Dan drops a lot of knowledge and provides a unique perspective on running and racing.
- What was the transition from college (at UCLA) to professional running?
- How did he handle a change in programs from one heavily focused on aerobic development to one where speed/mechanics was emphasized?
- The Myth of Peaking and how Dan was able to race for months on end without burning out.
- Running sub 4 mile in the mile- How his focus on the execution and not the mark allowed him to accomplish the goal.
- Escaping the idea that racing is about proving one’s self.
- The importance of creating an environment of learning.
- Controlling and taking your ego out of your craft.
Resources Mentioned on this weeks episode:
Keep the Podcast going! Visit our Sponsor for Great Savings!
Stop putting off getting life insurance. It’s something we all need, and a company that values RUNNERS has stepped up to the plate:
Health IQ– An innovative insurance company that helps health-conscious people like runners get lower rates on their life insurance.
Go to healthiq.com/oncoaching to support the show and learn more!
Health IQ is offering special rates for us runners! Just submit your running data (race results, strava links, or similar) and see the special rates.
Go to healthiq.com/oncoaching to find out more.
The Health IQ advantage is their unique mortality model on the health conscious and they have lower rates for health-conscious people (like a good driver savings on auto insurance).